Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bye...

It sounds like I miss you when my sheets rub against each other
Interrupting the conversation between my bare legs wondering what's missing between them…
Wondering when brown became so void, so vague, so empty
I couldn't think of another word that began with "v" except for virgin 
which is still technically the same thing as empty
considering you can have something to 'lose' while still not ever 'having' something
Either way, my legs miss you 
and maybe that's why I keep walking back to you 
Hoping you'll have something for me 
Something that looks like love but feels like a deported cousin
that feels like you're sad that they're gone but at least they get to be back home
I have stop feeling like there's home in your bones
I have to stop feeling like you got away with murder without realizing I'm the one who died
I have to stop feeling like, love, and madness for you
I had hoped that by the time I reached this door, it would be the front door to our house
with a white picket fence and a dishwasher like I had always hoped
But instead it is just a door that I've been crying behind hoping you never reached for the handle because it's burning there
because there's a fire here
There's smoke here
and there's ashes that sit where I have crumbled
I wish I could stop loving you
Stop missing you 
Stop kissing you 
But muscle memory is real and every time I see your teeth, my tongue just wants to say hello
I should know better to know that I know nothing at all
And some things just aren't you, but when those things aren't for me, then there's no us
I wish my brown legs wouldn't need you as a place to rest
I burned many a calorie with you in between them
Lost everything but weight though
Lost years but not inches
And fooled myself into believing that my wetness had nothing to do with my tears
Even my vagina was crying
Like women often do when intruders are near
And you kept telling me that my flesh was pink
Baby, I'm brown, she was just blushing when you were near
the blood was just rushing when you were near
the flood was just gushing when you were near
How dare I drown in my own waters?
Loving you moved me, sometimes into dizziness
But leaving you kept me still...

No comments: