Monday, November 12, 2012

Neckties

I want to get you a necktie for Christmas.
That sounds incredibly simple and somewhat cliché
But I want to get you a necktie because neckties remind me of love
And all too often when you put a necktie on a boy, it reminds him too much of a noose
Suffocating a son not ready for love, a king not ready for his crown 
But when worn right and when the knot is tightened by loving fingers, the necktie is an adornment
A statement to the world that this morning, someone dressed you with love, even if that someone is you
The necktie rests gently next to collarbone vibrating from the power of your voice, protecting your Adam's apple because whatever you give a man, he consumes, even if it is sin
I want to give you a necktie for Christmas.
Something that will slow your morning down just a little bit so that you get it right
That you move your fingers into windsor knots and pull yourself together with the threads of my commitment
I want your office to say, "Nice tie" because neckties remind me of love
I want them to see you and indirectly say, "Beautiful love, you have there."
A beautiful piece of cloth sitting in between the nook and crannies of your ribs, to the right side of your heart drawing attention to the core of you
I want to make sure that you don't feel like there's a noose around your neck but rather a display of elegantly woven freedom
And when you take your necktie off after a long day of work, I want you to hold that love in your hand, hang it up and just be naked with me.

No comments: