Thursday, July 11, 2013

Your Questions Answered


Have you subscribed to TassikaLloydPR@gmail.com yet?!  If not, hurry up.  Send in your full name, mailing address and any questions you have regarding my first novel! 
Catch up here to get some insight on the main character.


1. Is this a coming of age story? And is it loosely based on the author's own experiences?

The entire story is a longitudinal observation of a young woman over the span of 10+ years so she definitely comes into her age and prompts other women to do the same.  She also serves as a guide for women coming into their own age.  We have several "comings" in our lifetime but I think this story addresses the primary one - the delicate stage between puberty and what we find out later to be 'senseless passion.'  That's a rough spot to navigate  and because that's where the book takes place, it's safe to say, this is definitely a coming of age story.

Everything that comes from me is based on my experiences, but that doesn't always make it my story.  That sounds crazy but think of it this way, the things I've done or said - those are mine.  But the things that I've seen or heard from others don't necessarily belong to me but that's still an experience.  The book itself is based on my world and doesn't always include my personal participation in it.  It could have been my homegirl or her boyfriend but I think it's almost a compliment when people think everything is based on me because that means I've done my job as a writer.  I've made it so real that it sounds like I'm recalling a memory instead of just throwing some arbitrary thoughts together.  I wish I could take the credit for living a life worth writing a tell-all for but I can only take the credit for being creative.

3.  When is the book going to be finished?

It's finished my love.

3. Do we have a release date for Dylan yet?

Yes!

4. When is the novel being released?

On Dylan's birthday.

5. How much is the book?

I have absolutely no idea.  What do you think is a reasonable price?

6. What is the process in ordering it?

These are really good questions.  That's up to the publisher though.  From what I hear, the goal is to make it available on its own website as well as other websites that offer E-books.  I guess it all depends on where the consumers want to buy it.  And I mean there's always the possibility that I'll pop up in your neighborhood and surprise people with the opportunity to purchase it on sight.  Keep your fingers crossed!

7.  Is Dylan and her story based off a real life situation or person?

Yes and no.  Dylan is a completely fictional character so she's not based on any one person.  I literally constructed a woman I would want to have a drink with or go get my nails done with.  Her story is based on several things and people.  Her story is really a culmination of the important (and very real) topics relevant to womanhood - loss, love, betrayal, faith, family, etc.  Ooh, I'm giving too much away, but yes and no.  

8. What inspired you to write a novel?

You.

9. Is it a self help book?

I get this question a lot and I giggle every time.  I always want to say no because when I think of self help, those instructional books like "How to get a man in 10 days, step 1..." come to mind.  But it's time to say yes.  It is a self help book in that it helps you face yourself and the decisions you make as a friend, a partner, and most obviously a human being.  I think people will find themselves reading and relating to subsequently ask themselves, how could I do it differently the next time?  More than help, it's a healing narrative.  The intention to help and guide is there.  It's definitely the motive.

10.  What's one thing you hope I will learn from reading your book?

How to love others from a place of purpose instead of possession.

No comments: