Saturday, January 15, 2011

queen of r&b

mary j blige turns 40!!!

i'm shaking my head as i write this because there is not enough gratitude in the world to really embody how grateful i am for her music, her style, her struggle and her personality.  mary never hid what made her mary. from the hood to drugs to domestic violence, mary uncovered it all in her albums.  she made it ok to cry, scream and leave him after fifteen years, even if you were the secretary.  mary taught me how to be a woman as crazy as that sounds.  but because relationships are learned the hard way, her albums brought me through the tough times, helped me understand the grief and realize that it's not just me.  it never is just you.  as she hits this beautiful milestone in her life, do yourself a favor, find your favorite mary track and think about what it has done for you.


now me?
SEVEN DAYS. well damn. it changed my life. and you know i have a tendency to date my friends.  when i heard this song, i knew that mary was reading my diary and that invasion of privacy put everything in perspective.  she taught me the truth of vulnerability and how to practice it. needless to say, after all her drama, she eventually found her happy ending.  and if my life is anything like her music, as it has been, mine is on its way.

but sunday we made love, what are we gonna do?

2 comments:

Styles4u_Remixed said...

Love this woman like I know her personally....she has gotten me through....

Q. said...

Credit...Q