Friday, December 25, 2009

Alicia Keys' "The Element of Freedom"

When I first listened to the album, I was not enthused. As a fan, I felt like she strayed too far from what her fans loved about her in the first place. And yes, I know artists grow like us common folk do but it's like looking at an ex boyfriend. It's weird when lovers become strangers. I barely recognized her, it was an awkward hello. The writing was elementary, her voice was mediocre at best and the music felt so weak that I couldn't even envision her playing the piano like I usually do. But after a second listen, while I was trying to get my emotions in order, I heard things and felt things I didn't hear the first time.

Some Favorites.

love is blind - they don't know, there's nothing else I can do, too bad love is blind

try sleeping with a broken heart - have you ever tried sleeping with a broken heart? well, you could try sleeping in my bed. anybody could've told you right from the start it's about to fall apart so rather than hold on to a broken dream, I'll just hold on to love. and I could find a way to make it, don't hold on too tight. I'll make it without you tonight

wait till you see my smile - some people, they call me crazy for falling in love with you. they can take me and lock me away baby, cuz there's nothing those bars can do. that's how strong my love is. (i think i fell in love with the melody)

unthinkable - moment of honesty, someone's gotta take the lead tonight, who's it gonna be? I'm gonna sit right here and tell you all that comes to me. If you have something to say, you should say it right now. I think I deserve it, it's becoming something that's impossible to ignore and I can't take it. I was wondering maybe could I make you my baby, if we do the unthinkable would it make us look crazy? If you ask me, I'm ready. I know you once said to me, "this is exactly how it should feel when it's meant to be." time is only wasting so why wait for eventually? if we gon' do something about it, we should do it right now. I deserve it. [this is where I'm at in my life right now]

love is the disease - I try to act mature, but I'm a baby when you leave. I get a fever at just the thought of you leaving my side.

love is like the sea - (i like the arrangement, the beat and her voice in this one) love is like the sea, leaves you on your knees, then it pulls you in, then it takes you over! it can take away the very thing that you love the most.

distance and time - no matter how long it takes him, through distance and time, i'll be waiting.

this bed - don't wanna go through life every single night wishing we could do it. these king size sheets need more than just a queen in between them. (i don't like the beat too much but that line got me)

how it feels to fly - I don't want to come down but wings don't hear me out. If I can touch the sky, I risk to fall just to know how to fly.

By the end of the album, if you know one thing, it's that Ms. Keys is in love, right or wrong, her heart is somewhere above being politically correct. Appropriately titled, the Element of Freedom.

No comments: