Monday, December 7, 2009

tina kept the name he gave her. i will not.

I don't hold grudges

and Cain and Abel were brothers so sometimes family ain't family at all

I need to repeat that one more time because I don't think you understood me.

Cain and Abel were brothers so sometimes family ain't family at all.

some people keep me in their mouths like I feed them
and think they're hurting me like I bleed them
I cant nourish you with hate
so instead you will starve off of my beauty
and we both know it's true
because I am made in the likeness of you
so if I'm a whore, then I guess you're one too

don't you think it's crazy that we share the same name, your blood runs through my veins
but even where we resemble one another, we are certainly not the same???

u said it
i heard it
i lived it
i served it


and let's keep it elegant for you simple motherf.ckers:::
cuz i know you're out there

i do not respect anyone who can talk about me but not to me
i do not believe in titles without an accurate measure of how you earned them
i do not think we grew up together when you still act like children

and as a woman who has her own child, i know this:
children are brutally honest, their innocence grants them favors
their eyes adore and their hearts are open
they are born as miracles desired by few but only granted to some
they withstand trial and tribulation from the moment they are conceived to the minute of delivery
someone put their life on the line to give them a chance at having one

no heaven, no hell, no peace on earth
could ever replace the divinity of birth

it is my divine duty as a parent to protect my own life and the life of my offspring
mother
father
brother
sister
endanger the life of my own and i will borrow yours in its place

call me what you want
whore, slut, tramp, liar
but heed this warning
the words you eat doesn't make anyone come (pun intended).
try harder.

Lauryn Hill - Forgive Them Father (it's only appropriate)


No comments: