Monday, December 7, 2009

my daughter has an ipod. she's 4.



For the record, I did not buy her an ipod. I'm trying to spare myself some dignity as a young mother. "What had happened was" my father bought my mother an ipod touch. The ipod touch soon proved to be too complicated for my foreign mother. The ipod touch sat there on our computer table and was eventually replaced by the Ipod nano, in which she not only understands but now loves. One day, my daughter stumbled on the Ipod touch and ever since, she's been yapping about applications, google earth and Luther Vandross. I don't get it but she does. Who am I to judge?

However, when my daughter first started playing with the ipod, I knew she just liked it because it was another form of technology. Her first love was my palm treo, then my blackberry and now this ipod touch has made her fall in love. Once she figured out that its purpose was to play music at her convenience, she really started listening to it and tuning the world out. She finds the Luther Vandross song, closes her eyes and sings loudly - on the bus - in morning rush hour. I can't help but laugh because I've known for quite some time that my child is an entertainer but what I didn't know was how quickly she would observe social trends and even adopt them. She doesn't play the ipod in the house or at the park but on her morning commute, "Where's Luther?"

No comments: