Wednesday, February 23, 2011

responsibility.

i had every intention of loving you for a lifetime 
and i did
until the girl in me died trying to make a woman out of the pieces you so casually left behind
i'm kinda feeling myself now
meaning i'm no longer numb to the reality of the pain you caused
i got a new haircut, moved out of our apartment and finally admitted to the landlord that my boyfriend won't be helping me lift these heavy boxes
at least they're half as empty as when we brought them in
i walk down the stairs and i look back to ask you if you have the keys
only to realize that you're not there and neither are the keys
so now i'm locked out of a home i don't even wanna be in
sitting on the steps too proud to call you for the spare and feeling like one instead
your spare girlfriend and your spare home and your spare love affair
i feel like the backup plan without a plan
strangers walk by me sitting there like i'm irresponsible for getting locked out
i'm not irresponsible
i mailed the bills out, i washed the dishes, i cooked, i cleaned, i woke you up on time, i remembered to pass you your wallet, your towel and your basketball sneakers
i am responsible
even though i locked myself out of our home, well... what was our home
and you are responsible for that all by yourself
but me i am responsible too.
shattered. heartbroken. but responsible for loving someone who thought it was easier to love someone else
i had every intention of loving you for a lifetime
too bad, the phrase 'life is short' never crossed my mind.

No comments: