Friday, November 18, 2011

Speak your piece I'm listening...

sorry but i have to disagree with your post. i am a true believer that Black Women do Rock but your post defeats the purpose of the show. Black women do NOT rock because they have accomplished more... they rock because they work just as hard and do not get the respect that they deserve. As a person that worked on this show, i have never heard anyone make the comment that you made. Knocking a mans accomplishments is what is wrong with our people now. there is no reason to do so. i hope you change your mindset before next year... or actually listen to the message of the show. written by Anonymous


You don't ever have to apologize for disagreeing with me.  I don't expect anyone to share the same sentiment I do about anything.  Though we're having a shared experience known as life, that doesn't mean we have to react to it the same.  I read my post and your comment over and over again and I think you're disagreeing with a statement that was never made.  I didn't talk about the show at all.  I didn't disclose how I felt about it , its messages, the performers, the speeches, the awards, none of it.  Though the tagline is all throughout the post, the post is not about the show.  When emotionally charged shows like that are aired, it creates dialogue.   If you read the post, I'm responding to the ignorant and degrading comments made to the black woman via twitter. I can see why you don't agree with my defense especially if you weren't made aware of the entire debate.   Though you believe that women black women rock because 'they work just as hard and do not get the respect that they deserve,' the truth is that there isn't just ONE reason black women rock.  There's many.  That's yours and mine may be different. 


Nowhere in that post do I knock the accomplishments of Black Men.  I actually don't even discuss their accomplishments [because this is not a competition at all & if it were, Black men as a unit are not winning. Just because I can say that with a straight face doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt that they are not doing as well as Black women because ultimately, I want that for and think it's necessary for the Black community to thrive].  I am critical of their missteps [the leading population in the prison system] and to be fair, in that post I was critical of women as well [running around and sleeping with involved men].  However, to be absolutely clear, my point in that post was for the Black men that were degrading and insulting our [Black women] strides and I stand by it.  How dare anyone [I was talking to some Black men though because they were who I was having the discussion with] disrespect our achievement, our struggles and our accomplishments when they [the Black men I was talking about, not ALL Black men] haven't even been there to witness the beauty and the pain of it?  


Respectfully, as a person who worked on the show, please understand and be mindful that even beautiful things can spur ugly comments; ugly comments which sometimes need to be addressed with constructive criticism and the hardcore reality of the very topic being discussed.  Highlighting problem areas is not the same thing as knocking an accomplishment; they are two very separate entities.  Doing something wrong doesn't negate everything you've done right.  I'm opinionated but I'm also fair.  Though you hope that I change my mindset, I challenge you to first dig deeper into what my mindset is and  accept that we weren't all born with the same kind.  You never having heard anyone make the comments I've made is further proof that you have missed the initial comments that transpired and I'm not sure if that's better or worse for your mindset.  I'm glad you don't have to experience that kind of shame, disrespect or embarrassment but it saddens me that you haven't been challenged to be critical of our entire race with the opportunity to hold people accountable for certain behaviors.  Differences are what make shows like the one you worked on possible.  As far as me grasping what the message of the show is, I never disclose that so how can you be sure I wasn't listening?  

No comments: