Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I have never been single

I have never been single
Never
I can't remember a time where I wasn't loving someone or blessed enough to have someone love me
And though you may say loving someone doesn't equal a relationship
Think deeper
Pause longer
As your heart ties itself to the beat of another, are we not in a relationship?
If we pray for the peace of one another in the midst of war within ourselves, are we not in a relationship?
If I am pulling at the shoestrings of your heart like the waves to the moon, tell me are we not tide (tied) up in one another?
I wonder if all of this love has exhausted me
If all of my borrowed ribs have created too much clutter to give my heart some wiggle room
Is that not a sign of eternal partnership? emotional longevity? and all other things too righteous to be my own as an individual?


God, I wonder if trees get lonely sometimes
They never mate or move from their spot but they bloom the brightest


Is that a sign for me to dig firmly through the dirt for a little spot to call my own, sprout my leaves and then outstretch my branches to the clear blue sky, like "here I am God, doing bad all by myself!"


Too bad, I want conversation
and too bad I want to intertwine with someone's else branches and feel the wind blow beneath us both so softly that only our hearts can hear the secret


Am I less of a woman for wanting more?
For blooming under the son (sun) of a mother I have never met?
Tell me, if I'm less than for giving more than my share?


I have never been single and somehow, sharing myself has only made me more complete

No comments: