Wednesday, July 20, 2011

a black girl's kitchen

flat irons are like skillets to a black girl’s hair
and hot combs are frying pans sizzling the grease from our scalps
smoke billowing up from straight parts between fish braids
and no wonder the world calls us hotheads
my mother kneads my head like dumplings on sunday afternoons
in between her thighs, shaping my thoughts with her fingers
my hair ends up straighter than spaghetti and softer than her mashed potatoes
her hands dance up from my medulla oblongata and salsa their way on over to my frontal lobe
she’s combing my beliefs into patterns that will eventually spell out presentable 
and she’s brushing through years of ancestry of aunties with thick curls and grandmothers with with salt and pepper bangs
i’m in my mother’s kitchen or she’s in mine making something off the top of her head and off the top of mine
either way, flat irons, hot combs, skillets, frying pans and grease have always been a part of ancestral recipes
whether its fish braids or fried fish…
black girls never leave home starving.

1 comment:

ACNimmons said...

remembering how fly you and nicole always had me freshman year...love you for that. <3