Tuesday, September 6, 2011

i prefer limes

this is my day 5. write a three line poem about a lemons without using the following words: lemon, yellow, round, fruit, citrus, tart, juicy, peel and sour.  i don't like lemons so i'm going to write about limes instead and i won't use the word lime and green instead of lemon and yellow.  and maybe, just maybe it will be longer than three lines. 


you sat in my grandmother's yard
stoic branches bent toward the sun
leaves disguising your purpose
hurricanes tapped you on your bark for years begging you to break but you only swayed
you only bent in their direction but never broke at their request
"go run to the tree for for me and pick two so i could clean this fish"
i would run to you with limbs not as long as yours and borrow from you
always wondering when would i grow, when would i blossom, when would i bloom
when would i have something to offer this world and have someone look to me with their arms outstretched for whatever i was bearing, whatever i was offering
you taught me to give without asking for nothing in return but for some room to grow
now i sit here with my arms outstretched, my back bent toward the sun,
my limbs brown with age and my bark standing firm in such fertile land, offering the world my gifts
and no matter what rain, win or darkness may come my way
i may twist, i may turn, i may bend, but i never forget to bloom
i never forget to bear the gifts God has given me

No comments: