Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Long overdue

You've probably noticed or maybe you haven't that I've been stuck on day 15 for quite some time.  Day 15 being: post a poem written by someone else, that I love, for any reason.  I kept going back and forth over who I wanted the poet to be and then I kept going back and forth over what a poet was so I'm going to give you two.  One will be from a poet I had the pleasure of seeing perform.  God really knows if it's a poem but this is the one I chose. I really believe the depth of her work is in her voice, her delivery and her linguistics but nonetheless the words are powerful and life changing with a sense of demand.  I also chose this video because violence on college campuses always strikes a nerve in me for some reason.  I haven't figured out why.  Either way, listen carefully.





This following poem is actually so good, it's easily become one of my favorites and the poet herself?  To call her amazing would be an understatement.  But having the opportunity to watch her bloom for these last few months has opened my eyes to really trusting the process of finding oneself.  Join her journey at Thee 10th Letter.


Flat Broke


My thoughts leaking from my mouth
I know I'll pay the repercussions
Down to my last dime
You say "we're" not up for discussion 
Like here I am cashing out on a conversation gone sour
I paid my debt in 2 years
And you can't give me half an hour
Maybe to rekindle a loose string one knitted
Tightly fitted
But I guess it wasn't what it se(a)med
Trying to be short after a long break up
Putting together words overdue
Like you can put me back in then bounce
I'm flat broke
Explain why I'm laid up reading our old texts
Waiting to get the next, while wearing the title
"EX"
But clothed in wives white, veil across my face
And you say "I look nice 
Just keep my dress on and wait for our wedding night 
Stuck in a dream but really living
Inception so deceptive
Empty pockets but I'm still giving
Like you'll awake one day and feel the same way I'm feeling
Let go of those other women
And lend me change for at least a minute
-Netty

No comments: