Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This love thing

Being single is never black and white.  Our last relationship always carries over its grayness into the possibility of brighter days.  And is it strange to want to fix what's broken?  Once you learn what went wrong in your relationship, is it terrible to want to go back and try again if the problem(s) can be fixed?  Is it strange that your unconditional love requires the audacity to keep trying when the humanity in you just wants to give up?


I think or rather I've seen a few instances where people are just unwilling to compromise with their partner and accept their partner, flaws and all.  Though you don't have to accept anything you don't want to, isn't the beauty of having a significant partner that you are willing to accept things from them that you wouldn't from anyone else?  Isn't that the true exclusivity of relationships?  Not the monogamy but rather the continuous effort to become better with another human being?  I know that there are people who love me and possibly love me to the ends of the earth but it is so rare to find someone who wakes up everyday trying to love me more.  If that isn't a marathon I don't know what is. 


The thing is, we're in a very inconvenient stage in our lives and that goes for a lot of us just based on our careers, ages and living situations.  This economy has us in places that we aren't necessarily comfortable in but we sustain.  Now imagine having a relationship during struggling times like these.  What a beautiful thing to love someone even when it isn't convenient, sh.t, especially when it isn't convenient.  I give praise to all who can do it.  I don't know if love is supposed to hurt or not but most often times, it brings you to someone who will and they may not even do it intentionally or maliciously.  But the moment you open your heart to another human being, pain is damn near inevitable simply because any open wound is susceptible to infection and I'm starting to think that's what love is - an open wound that you hope your significant other stitches back up but you never know if they're going to get it right.  Either way, you trust them with this wound to leave you with a neat, little scar instead of having to lose the entire limb.


Someone asked me tonight, what was my thing and what is my thing.  I've grown out of a lot of phases that I thought was so necessary and I answered, "Relationships were my thing but love is my thing."  Ownership can mean that you have power but freedom?  Well that means that you don't even need ownership to be powerful.


Love hard when you're young but love wise to stay that way. 

2 comments:

cherelle said...

Loving wise is a learnt behavior. Trial and error hopefully teaches you how. Im still struggling because my heart and mind conflict more than I wish they did. I tend to be too selfish or controlling at times to take the good with the bad. I also don't always know when not to try. Again trial and error. Deep down i thank those who showed me what love was even though i didn't realize that's what it was till it was over.

Theory Republic said...

I Love the last line of this "Love hard when you're young, but love wise to stay that way" so true so true