Thursday, September 16, 2010

yearbooks and memory lane



guess what i found?? my 7th and 8th grade yearbooks!  going through them was intense.  apparently, i've been the same way forever. there were some touching comments especially considering i've known most of these people since i was four years old.  

my favorite comments from my classmates...
  • i'm really gonna miss you girl. you put a sun above my ghetto gray skies. 1 love baby.  [ya'll know i have a penchant for the ghetto and its gray skies]
  • you've been my geto sista 4 a while, matter of fact from the get-go. i luv you and you wil always be my sista no matter what. [what can i say? you bond in the ghetto]
  • you've been real since the very beginning and i will forget that about you.  i like to thank you for always having my back.
  • use your sense of humor and your gift storytelling to enjoy life, even if they don't become your career choice. [i told y'all i've been writing my whole life]
  • you will make a great lawyer because you have plenty of life experiences. hope to see you in Vegas this summer. [glad he knew i had already been through a lot by the time i hit eighth grade and what business did i have in Vegas?]
  • to my big sister, always use your smarts because you have them.
  • you have always been there for me.  you always would tell me straight out how you felt when i didn't want to hear it. you are a true friend. 
  • you were my friend and helpers since kindergarten to now.  i remember you tying my shoes and giving me homework answers. 
  • i will miss your crazy funny, delicate self. [that's probably the best description i've ever heard about myself.]
  • dear tass, oprah., the shining star!
  • keep that star shining
  • stay sweet
my mother did a great job at keeping my life as consistent as possible when it came to my education.  and i can always thank her for that.  there's something truly unique about being surrounded by people that know you and love you anyway.  it's also incredible when people are there to nourish your gifts and your mind.  i had the best teachers and the best friends for who i wanted to become.  i just wanted to write and i wanted everyone around me to just be happy with whatever they chose to do.  i believe that when you wish well on others, it helps you keep life in perspective.  of course, nothing has been all good, but honestly, it hasn't been all bad either.  i've just learned to accept that balance. this is not to say that i don't have flaws and i don't recognize flaws in others but i choose to focus on the good, so that it can eventually become great.  

No comments: