Sunday, July 25, 2010

the repercussions

lauryn hill reminds me of my sister. beautifully alike. and with them you never really know if they've reached their potential because they're always getting better. my sister is only that. a shared blood type and hair texture.  other than that, her beauty lies beneath a lot of ugly.  but lauryn hill, who this is really about is a walking legend.  that's got to be a lot of pressure. she's responsible for taking me through puberty, self esteem and my natural hair. she's responsible for teaching me how to use this voice, whether in a melody or a paragraph. she's responsible for letting me know that fear is a healthy part of living and if i have to fall back just to stay on, then that's what the f.ck i'm going to do.  this is just my personal relationship with the lauryn of legends. i can't even imagine what she's done for others.  but i miss her.  i listen to her songs like they're journal entries reminding of places i've been and people i've been with. each song puts me back to a time when i was rocking big earrings and name plates or when i cut my hair to the scalp as a sincere f.ck you to the white man and the asians' creamy crack.  her voice has walked with me for as long as i can remember and i miss her. i miss her talent, i miss her emotion. i miss her dialogue and most of all i miss her brown skin and her lips with her threatening eyes but her kind words.  i even miss the way she curses.  while i rock out to her melodies on the days i don't feel like talking, i have to say, even legends bleed, but they never die. enjoy.

No comments: